To celebrate my 53rd birthday, I wanted to do a post about positive aging and loving ourselves. I’m no mental health expert (ha ha … I know, stop laughing) but I AM a middle-aged woman who used to worry about getting older and who now truly looks forward to each year and the whole fabulous journey we’re all on. Here are my personal tips to loving ourselves through the aging process.
My Tips for Loving Yourself Through the Aging Process
1. Remember there’s no one standard of beauty. Wrinkles can be beautiful. If dimples on a cheek are cute, why not on a thigh? Things change. Body parts shift. Skin get crepey. And that’s okay.
2. Look yourself in the mirror every single day and say something nice and loving. Seriously … do it! Out loud!
3. If you catch your reflection and your first thought is “oh dear” … try to change that thought immediately to “hey I look pretty good!”
4. Eat and exercise as a way to love yourself and enjoy life, not as a punishment for your “sins.” I figure if I eat fairly healthy 80% of the time, that’s good enough. A coffee and pastry treat is one of my simple joys in life, and I’m not letting anyone guilt me into giving it up. Try to do exercise that you actually enjoy.
5. Use social media in a positive way. The good and bad thing about social media is that everyone has a voice. Some of those voices are positive and uplifting and … some not so much. But we can choose who we follow. I’m pretty open minded about everyone’s point of view, but I admit I unfollowed someone recently who was complaining how “fat” she was now that she can’t fit into her size 0’s anymore. Personally, I don’t need that message in my life. Oh, and remember that us influencers are only posting photos that are flattering. No one can walk around all day at a good angle with flattering lighting! Never play the compare game. We’re all unique!
6. Sure we can take care of ourselves, but don’t let any advertisers get you to believe that you always need the latest XYZ to be pretty.
7. Show it off, cover it up … do whatever makes you happy. Aging body parts are part of life, and we don’t have to cover them up, but we can if we want to. It’s up to us. Do what makes you feel best.
8. Treat yourself well … slather on a yummy cream, try a new whatever … but just do it for the purpose of giving yourself a treat.
9. Botox or no? Filler or no? Whatever/whatever … it’s up to you. And there’s no right or wrong answer. Follow your own guidance.
10. Most importantly, confidence and self-love really is the best beauty routine!
I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments! Please share!
Fun & Fashion,
Bonus tip: Take supportive friends along for the ride!
About the blog: Fashion Should Be Fun is me talking to you, other middle aged women like me who are over 40, but not over fashion. We still want to look beautiful and stylish. We still want to have fun with trends. And we don’t need anyone giving us rules, because we’re all different. We all have own shapes and bodies, parts we’d like to cover and parts we still don’t mind showing off a bit. This is a place for me to share my love of fashion with you, style ideas, tips, trends, and inspiration. I know how liking the way we look can translate into confidence and energy. I know we have so much life left to live and so much adventure ahead of us. Let’s show the world you’re never too old to have fun and be fierce!